Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
3D is still a big let down. I've seen a 3D TV, and 3D cinema
I'm not into "3D movies" fad either.

I want something else. People overuse "3D". Remember when games from the 1980s were called 3D, while they were only isometric? Anything that gave better spatial illusion got this moniker.

* Stereoscopy is the illusion of depth seen on pictures/film (think "Avatar").
This is where you use those two-color glasses.
This is where you still stare at the screen.

It's still like peeking through a keyhole.
What I want is "you're there" experience.
Have you ever seriously played a realistic flight simulator? Situational awareness. The pilot constantly turns his head, looking around for new enemies and tracking known ones. You fly in one direction, but look in another. This is where you need head motion control.

* TrackIR is an ersatz solution. Camera sensor tracks your head movement and translates this to in-game view changes (scaled up, so your small move is sharper in game).
This is where you still stare at the screen.

* Head-mounted display (VR helmet or whatever you call it) is the ultimate solution. The image is projected near your eyes, so you don't look at the monitor. That Oculus thing promises to have such large displays you won't be seeing borders of your visors. Gyro-sensor tracks your head movement and translates this to in-game view changes. Turn back and your avatar in game turns head back.
There are usually two visors, so stereoscopic effect can be achieved as well, but note the difference! Here you have both motion-control AND stereoscopy AND no monitor. This is what I'm waiting for.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS