View Single Post
Old 20-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #189
Frodo423
Default Hints/Tips

I've played this game since I was in grade school. I still have the original CD ROM that my parents bought for me (hence me being able to play it on my Mac). I've read the whole thread, and I'm hoping I can answer a couple of questions.

1) The elf in Lorien with the "greatest enemy of all" question. I got this right once. It was either "oneself" or "myself" or "self" or something like that.

2) Character death/ disappearance is avoidable for the most part. In Bree, Bill Ferny does not take my pony. In Moria, Gandalf doesn't die. The only time I actually lose someone is right outside Moria, when the storyline takes the ring bearer (I don't particularly mind since he really isn't my best muscle). To avoid changes like this, save your game before you get to the event point. Right before you encounter the Prancing Pony, or the Balrog, dismiss the key character i.e. Pony, Gandalf. Once the event has passed, re-recruit them. In the instance of the Balrog, all I did was have Gimli use the Golden Wheel (which doesn't kill the Balrog but just lets you escape). I then creep my fellowship back into Moria, and re-recruit Gandalf (and being careful not to get too close to the Balrog).

3) The glitches in the games are annoying to say the least. Some of them you have to be incredibly careful about. For instance, my fellowship heading into Moria consists of only Frodo, with Gandalf, Gimli,Legolas,Boromir,Aragorn. Instead of the other 3 hobbits, I insert Hawkeye, Glorfindel, Elladan, and Elrohir (total of 10). With Hawkeye, Elladan, and Elrohir, once I dismiss them, I can no longer re-recruit them. I don't know if this is a glitch just for my game or a glitch for others. But you have to be careful.

4) With Hawkeye's cave I was able to go in there before I met him. So I was able to collect everything from the chest and still not have him die.

5) There is supposedly a glitch when finding the Torc of Maladin in the hole in Bree. After the first jump, if you go any further to the east, an error occurs. What I do is walk up with the keypad as far as I can, and then move east. I save my game right before it so in case it doesn't work, I don't have to keep crawling down the hill, equipping the torch, etc. You still should be able to acquire the torc this way.

I have others, but i'm in the process of a playthrough. If I can think of any more I will post them.