View Single Post
Old 23-01-2005, 06:50 PM   #8
einherjar

If you find yourself looking through a thesaurus more than three times per review, you had better re-think your work. Also, there are ways of expressing your opinions without referring to yourself in the first person.

You should also learn when new paragraphs are appropriate. Just because you have a big block of text just talking about the gameplay doesn't mean it has to be one big block of text. Paragraphs are appropriate when adding new ideas or discussing other tthings related to the topic at hand.

Another thing I have learned from being a member of the abandonia forum is to not use any figures of speech from your language. I can tell by talking to certain forum members that they either are completely lost, or they completely misinterpret what I say when I use a perfectly normal figure of speech.

Anyway, reviews should have a basic flow to them. A reasonable format, for example, would be:

Introduction. Write something to get the reader's attention.

Game info. Include the game's creators, the original system(s) it was made for, the year it was made, and the type of game it is.

Story. Explain to your readers what they would find by reading the story in the manual. Don't copy things word for word, cite quotes as neccessary, be brief, and don't reveal critical plot details. You should explain what leads up to the game, not what happens during the course of the game.

Gameplay. Elaborate more on the type of game it is, and explain the unique (or not unique) things that the game brings to the genre. Was there something you liked or didn't like about how the game is played? Mention it here.

Graphics and music. Did the graphics hurt your eyes? Was the music annoying?

Special notes. Is the game gory in any way? Is there a special way of running the game appropriately?