View Single Post
Old 27-07-2006, 03:56 AM   #8
Japo
Autonomous human

You don't have to use Op's additional features if you don't want to. I used Op for a long time before discovering them, and I was hugely satisfied after having been using FF; but once I found about them I was delighted. And come on, at least being able to read your feeds without opening a separate program is handy indeed, if you ever read feeds.

Now if you think that these additions make Op heavier and more awkward than FF, think again. FF's code is hugely inefficient and it doesn't manage or care about freeing the memory it occupies over time (actually minutes). That was the chief reason I changed to Op in the first time, because then I had only 64 Mb or RAM. With FF I had to bear with huuuge dealys while virtual HD memory was read and written; with Op I was able to navigate in decent conditions for the first time, with only 64 Mb. This is not the only issue I had with FF. And even if you've got tons of RAM to spare, Op is much faster than FF, and this has been established by independent trials.