View Single Post
Old 31-05-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

First don't load HIMEM.SYS or EMM386 using DEVICEHIGH. The memory managers need to be in conventional memory. You've got way more going into upper memory than is going to fit anyway. Load as many of the other device drivers high as you can. REM the device drivers that are not necessary to play the game. In this case I don't think you need the CDROM so you can put REM at the front of lines that have to do with the CDROM drivers so that they will be ignored. That will free up memory. The order that you load drivers into upper memory has a lot to do with how many will actually fit up there. A driver will always load into the biggest available block. Try loading the largest drivers (config.sys) and memory resident programs (autoexec.bat) first. You can monitor which drivers/programs were loaded in upper memory by using the mem /c command after the boot is complete. The mem command will also tell you the "largest executable program size". If you know the requirements of the game you will know if it will run without having to try it.

Also, you have your FILES and BUFFERS set pretty high. Try FILES=30 and BUFFERS=20

If you are worried about losing track of all the changes then make a boot disk with only the drivers you need and boot with that to play the game.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor

Last edited by Geezer; 31-05-2008 at 06:04 AM.
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer