Thread: Autoduel
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #73
dueler
Default autoduel

Definitely my favorite game of all time. this is back when games were hardcore - i mean, the very game refused to allow you to scum save without actually copying the disk! (scum saving is the practice of using saved games to 'get it right' - see a game like Nethack, where they don't even offer a clone!).

The closest we have nowadays is something like Demon's Souls, though there death isn't gameover by any means. There is no such thing as 'game over' anymore... kind of sad, in a way.

I still remember the day there was a fire down the street and I ran back into the house to grab my save game disk for this game.

Of course, that's in part because I never did any of the tricks mentioned in this thread - I made my fortune the old fashion'd way - I salvaged it. I highly recommend not abusing Atlantic City - the joy you'll feel at earning enough money to buy a new, upgraded car and then take it into battle is unmatched in any video game.

I remember spending an hour in an almost destroyed vehicle that could pretty much only drive in a circle getting it to the next city. It was times like that - where you were inches from losing your character, and you had to hoof it on foot to the next city and hope you didn't get slaughtered that made the game so amazing.

I actually have the game box and toolkit and all that from this game, though i believe my father lost all my gamedisks (I used to keep them separate).

Thanks for the memories!

PS- Roadwar and Roadwar:Europa are nothing like this game, but also worth checking out. They're more text based - build up a huge gang/army of weaponized vehicles and then fight in turn based battles, if I remember correctly. I beat both, loved both, but Autoduel is still king.