View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #29
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I'd have to say two games came to that point, but the reasons are rather silly.
First would be Ghostbusters - a game that Activision made way back in 1984. As most of you know I'm a Ghostbusters fan, so I liked the game itself, but when I first played it (when my brother got his first C64 in 1985) niether one of us knew enough english to understand the manual. Besides this was the only original game he ever purchashed (those were the wild pirate days...) and I played pirate verions more often then the real thing (don't even have the original game). But it was around 1990 that I found the original manual and read it! You need ghost bait to prevent the Marshmellow man from destroying the buildings!!! Ahh! And all of a sudden, after 5 years of plaing the game I knew just what I was doing and I came to the screen I never saw before - the entrence to the Zuul. I got in and closed the portal.
Congratulations Jurisic, you've saved the world! I've waited 5 years to get to that screen and that's why I was so happy.
Something similar happened with the other game Zak McCracken. I got the pirate version for the C64 and it was my first point and click adventure. I loved it, but couldn't finish it. I missed the little screw in the Mars hostel, so I couldn't get in that room to get the broom. So I couldn't get the tram going and I thought I have to get Zak to Mars first. I knew I needed the yellow crystal to do that, but couldn't get it, because I didn't know the African dance opened the head on Mars. I thought those drawings were a part of the copy protection and that I could only get by it if I get the licensed version. Well I couldn't - at least not for a couple of year. Then in 1994 I got the Adventure Archive from LucasArts - for the PC, and it included a full manual with hints. I couldn't find any copyright protection conserning the drawings?!?!?! So I replayed the game with this new found knowladge and saw, what that dance was all about. From then on I had no problems. But why didn't I do this before with the C64 version? Well I damaged the side 1 of the disk (it was on three sides of 5'4'' floppys). So I couldn't play it. but after many years I finaly savet the Earth from stupidity (the dream of any teacher).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos