Thread: Custom Dos Pc.
View Single Post
Old 30-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

Wow! Great topic! Are you the techno Henning??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Henning @ Dec 30 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]272805[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Pentium 166MHz processor[/b]
I think that's a really good choice, but it's much faster than you need. If I recall correctly, DOOM ran at the proper speed on a 486 with clock speed 66Mhz.

Quote:
24MB RAM[/b]
That will definitely work, but it's far more than DOS programs can use. Just for DOS stuff, 640K base, and a meg or 2 extended, plus a meg or 2 expanded, would make a killer DOS machine I think. We used to have one like that at home ages ago.

Quote:
2x1GB Harddrives or HD partitions[/b]
The more the better. 2 Gigs is way more than adequate! k:

Quote:
SoundBlaster compatible Soundcard
[/b]
OK, this is the exciting bit. I would recommend that the perfect DOS machine MUST have a motherboard with ISA slots, so that you can put a genuine 8-bit or 16-bit (not Vibra if 16-bit) Soundblaster card, because this has the genuine almost-obsolete Adlib chip that many DOS games sound really bad without. But no "compatible" Soundblaster card, unless we know the exact specs and they're not junk imitations (i.e. they have the genuine chipset).
crazedloon is offline                         Send a private message to crazedloon