Thread: Gold Rush
View Single Post
Old 21-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #78
Banjo

Great news!

Doug, you should *definitely* look at having your father's game hosted/sold via "Good Old Games" (www.gog.com).

They host most of the other Sierra games from the same era, charge a fair price (after all, this game *is* nearly 25 years old), strongly support a "no DRM" model (why I won't buy off the likes of Steam) and have a great reputation and level of trust among classic/abandoned gaming fans.

If 'Gold Rush' *is* going to be rescued from abandonment and sold again (as a digital download), I can think of no place I'd rather see it - or that it would be more at home - than GOG. Seriously, take a look; I recently re-bought all their Sierra compilations even though I already own them all (several times!) on disc, to support what the company does. I know Abandonia is supportive of GOG's titles, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMacNeill View Post
Greetings Abandonia community,

An introduction:
I am the son of Doug MacNeill, one of the creators of Gold Rush. I stumbled across this site tonight and thought I'd chime in. My father does still hold the rights to this game, and after talking with him about the fact that the site has fallen into antiquity and the software is now being given away by many on the internet, I'm taking it upon myself to make a couple tweaks to his website to begin selling high-quality digital copies of Gold Rush -- for a reasonable cost (which I have not settled on yet). I'm not going to try to get rich off this, I just want to try to preserve the game's rights for him.

Also, from what I've read here, aside from the fact that it's an illegal copy, the cracked version has issues. The game was updated in the late 90's with some minor fixes to improve playablity, and works flawlessly in dosbox as far as I know.

I'm glad to see that his game still has a few fans. I'll keep you all posted, and if anyone wants to chat, PM or email me though this site. Life's been busy for my dad, and as such keeping the game available has been pretty far down on his priority list.
Banjo is offline                         Send a private message to Banjo