View Single Post
Old 22-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #9
red_avatar
Administrator

Okay, I'm not too sure about adding too much technical stuff because people tend to prefer forums and sites for that, where they can cut & paste text.

Still, plenty of ideas I like:

- Multi-Shot: I like old multi player games being covered but "how to make them work now" may take up too much space and make things too technical. I know that, using Dosbox, it would take at least two pages to go through all the steps, make sure people got the same version, add a troubleshoot section, etc. Suggestion: we could make a topic where people can ask questions about how to run the game and we can put the guide on the forum as well. The actual article could then freely talk about the game itself and include stories, past experiences, mods, etc.

- Good game, bad movie: I'd actually just drop the good & bad. There aren't many movies based on games and even less so on PC games so it would mean you'd run out of material much too quickly. There are a load of games being based on movies, however, and the articles could take a look at how well the movies were translated to a game.

- Forum quotes: good idea but I'd keep this to a single page tops. The "funny screenshots" idea above would have been limited to one or two per issue as well - better a few good ones than to drown them in mediocrity .

- Freeloader: a single page review about one good freeware game. One each issue.

And TC: I don't mind having a console/arcade corner of a page or 3 as long as the rest remains PC games only. I especially would like PC games and console/arcade games to be compared from time to time. Also, some game series only had a few games released on PC. Take the Dizzy collection. In fact, dibs on an article about Dizzy and its many console/PC games .

About the modding: while I like the idea, very few abandonware games really had a lot of modding capabilities sadly enough. Doom, Duke, Quake and a few more games left and right but most games had hacks instead of mods back then. It might be hard to find enough examples to use

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar