View Single Post
Old 18-02-2005, 03:14 AM   #47
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

cheesegrater, I do respect your right to express these views, and it IS interesting to read an opinion that is so thought-provoking. How did you come to believe that the cultures can't intermingle? I wonder if that might be underestimating most people. Why I ask is that Australia, one of the most peaceful countries to live in, is just one big melting pot. I remember on my last trip to Sydney, in one suburb I visited, I didn't see one white person all day. Every person on the street and in the shops was from Asia. Even the shop signs were written in a non-english language. It was a shock at first, but when I got use to it, I liked it. Our new imigrants work very hard and seem to have provided us with most of our small shops and businesses. (Many Australians tend to be, err, very laid-back about working long hours.) The mix of cultures is really working for us. Anyway, Australia is such a young country, that everyone is either from a different country or they're one or two generations removed from another country.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree