View Single Post
Old 29-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

I was downloading World of Xeen today and i was a little bored(downloading @ 5 Kb/s can take a while - unusually slow speed :not_ok.So i thought what if we could implement a function that could make downloading more fun.So i came up with this idea:
Say i want to download World of Xeen.
I click on download, then the download dialog pops up... and here comes the suggestion: after i select the location, the window i was in, ie "you have chosen to download..." changes to another window(notice the word changes).I don't mean a window pops up, since that could be denied by pop up blockers.So as i was saying, a blank window replaces the one before, and evaluates your connection.Once a certain connection speed is established, let's say 5 Kb/s, a script calculates the estimated download time, by deviding the total acrhive size by your connection speed.Now this is were the interesting part comes.After establishing the estimated time of download, the window changes from blank to a window that displays game info, ie curiosities regarding the game in hand.So as you are downloading, you can find out little things about the game.So why do you need the download time script? For each game there would be more than one window(each containing different information on the game).So say you have 5 windows, all of them containing game(world of xeen in this case) curiosities.The script would calculate the estimated time, and then devide the estimated time of download by the number of game windows.This result, in seconds, will be the amount each window stays on screen, before it is replaced by another window.Of course we should have some limitations.For example if you are on a 768kbps dsl
or on a 2mbps s2m, there would be no windows, unless the game size is larger than say 30 Mb.Of course this should be the case to all games.For example if you were to download a 400 K game, then unless your connection is slower than(or equal to) 56kbps modem, no curiosity window would ocur.This is to prevent windows apearing and instantly disapearing.
What do you think? And please don't brush it aside from the start on grounds of difficulty, please, at least, take a minute, and think about the result.It most surely would make a name for our site
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu