View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #377
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Pokemon Red - How to get out of Cerulean City?

Wasn't only my problem, so hope people can find this.

But first: there are many unnecessary texts in the game, and they come out sooo slowly, you start clicking to fasten the process, justto end up restarting a conversation. That's bad. Just like you have to click azillion times to end a turn. Why doesn't that just roll until your choice of action happens?

Then there's the problem of the Cerulean Gym itself. One: I give the developers, the lvl 30 limit seems absolutely fine, as I'm not even close to that, given how much exp is demanded for it. My problem though, why the liimit then at all? And what's my limit without the Cerulean Gym?
Two: I have no idea within the game what TMs are, and the game does not tell me. Neither tells me what are the conditions to "evolve" my pokemons, so turned out I could upp my nidoman with an item -and while I could catch adabra, grow it to kadabra, it was futuile effort, as I can not make it abrakadabra without trading, so there goes my full pokedex I assume.
The source I know the above is, 'case that stupid Artificial Rival I named Assfart traditionaly, keeps jumpscaring me, and it pulled out some psycyc mon, and had good levels, and whatnot, and I forgot to save like a long time, so had to do something about it.

The major problem with the gym is though, that every pokemon you can have there is a piece of crap. the gym only uses 2 mons, and they are incredily strong watermons, especialy the second one. There nothing helps but brute force, and you simply don't have any good move. From this I deduce the best starter is the otherwise weakes grass crap (as those are almost immun to water).
Lacking that I saw my options are:
- get a gyarados ASAP by mindless grinding in some nearby grasspatch (did this with the 500$ magicarp)
- overlevel my squirtle
- catch the only grass mon available, and overlevel that, a radish. It'd take like forever
- give that physical medium punch to my squirtle, but I dunno what moves it get later, so I went against that, still, seems a valid option

The even more annoying part is, after this you get a gazillion human fighting you, providing a hugh chucnk of exp, but they are blocked by this town.

To get out you must fill THREE conditions:
#1: win the gym
#2 get to Bill, and use the teleporter on him

#3 HAVE ENOUGH SPACE IN YOUR BACKPACK to receive an item from Bill. THEN the police-guarded house gets unblocked.

This latest took me a while to figure out, but in the end managed to remember this is an old piece of gaming, so that's why Bill got into inifinite loop with his conversation.

Btw, advice: do NOT buy any specialitems, they are useless, and fill in your backpack. Only buy pokeballs.

PS: after getting out the city, I got my very own 1 Million DollarWorth bycicle. That alone did worth all the effort this game required.