View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

I've used it lots of times (but not too much since it causes fragmentation). It's a standard Windows feature and should work without problems in most scenarios; choose the most recent restore point you have, before the change you want to eliminate.

Horseman, your problem was probably because (besides using a very old restore point?) you kept your documents outside "C:\Documents and Settings\" (or "C:\Users\" in Vista, that is "my documents" etc.)? Being there is the only way Windows has to tell that files shouldn't be rolled back (though as an exception the desktops are rolled back IIRC). Everything outside there is considered system or program files and will be rolled back, so if you don't want that and don't want to relocate documents as intended for some reason, you would have to back them up. It's better to use the intended folders for storage.

Anyway each rollback is automatically preceded by the creation of a restore point, which you can use to "roll back forward" to the state before the rollback.

Sean, first I would have advised fiddling with the configuration software of your graphic card, but i didn't since you said it was in part how you messed things up precisely, and you just seemed to want to return to your previous state. But you may want to give it a try, or at least look for a "set to factory default" button.