View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
Nick02

Send a message via Yahoo to Nick02
Question Retrolife: The Social Network for Abandonware and Freeware

EDIT: Since the project has launched, changed the thread title.
http://retrolife.isgreat.org/beta/
http://retrolife.tk/

Hey guys. Just wanted to throw something out there.

If anyone knows me, then they know I'm constantly into different projects. I've learned what works on the internet, and what doesn't. I have also created some social networks in the past.

Btw.. if anyone googles for social networks, you'll find social networks for pet fans, gaming nerds, adult talk (), and pretty much every other topic.

But none for us abandonware and freeware fans/reviewers/developers/players.

My idea.. build a social network themed to abandonware, and freeware. Members can post what games they are playing, where to download, etc. On the freeware side, developers could register and interact with our members (which already happens on Reloaded.org)

And unlike AB and AR.. I wouldn't overload the site with obnoxious advertisements. Though if Abovo/Studentis wanted to work with me, I'd think it over.

I would most likely use phpFox for the software. I'd pickout some fancy themes, and use a .tk address until I could pay for a domain name. The host I'm using, allows me a pretty massive amount of bandwidth. And since it's 2011, my usage has been reset.. have plenty of bandwidth ready to be used.

Even though I just started college, I want to do SOMETHING. Plus I want to setup a few painless Google ads to make a little cash. But main reason for this: I see how the internet is evolving. Forums are great, but social networks with forums allow for more flexibility, and a better social experience.

This would NOT replace AB or AR. We will NOT host game reviews. Instead, our games section would link to AB, and AR. Instead.. we are just about the community.

I'm looking for thoughts, and partners on this. I'll need logos, name suggestions, and other things like that. It's sort of.. building a social network by abandonware & freeware fans, for abandonware & freeware fans.

So tell me what you think. Nay or yay? I have nothing to lose except freetime.

Last edited by Nick02; 09-02-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Changed title.
Nick02 is offline                         Send a private message to Nick02