View Single Post
Old 17-02-2023, 01:26 PM   #551
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default V.O.T.E.R. Golem

Found it, and made it work. You only need to switch compatibility mode (under right click -> properties) to Win98/ME, and it works!

This is a real-time strategy game with WATER LEVELS ONLY, haha. I love it. So bad it's good.
I don't think the lore got finished, as the manual starts with technology, switches on the magic-users, but the game itself says the post-apocalyptic state was caused by meteors. Take your pick I say and move on.
Do NOT alt-tab this, it'll stop working until you shut down the game!

The game has 3 race: unchanged humans, biologicaly evolved mutants, and technologicaly advanced humans (technicaly the are mutants, whose mutation is high IQ).
Don't get too excited, these are the three DIFFICULTY LEVELS.
So start with the Clans, aka. unaltered humans. Not that there's any big difference between the two besides what is the main raw material, and that the mutants have a very slim HP-regeneration on its units (no on the buildings though).

Clan, lvl 1: build 4 mines.
Mission briefing:
"Greatings, your highness! I am chancelor Gnaron, representative of your honourable father in the Council of the Clans. The king has sent me to congratulate for completing your education. He also told me to give you the first official orders. Scouts have reported to the Council on raw materials in the northern areas, a region that up until now has been neutral territory. We need these resources to build a powerful fleet to fight the awful Gens and the cybernetic Cytex. Build four mines in the northern areas to exploit the raw materials there. Be cautious, because you may encounter hostile activities: they might be interrested in the same area. Take care of yourself and good luck for your first mission!
Building (and repairing) is intantenous, and the defense-capability of any building is immense, so caputring one for you or the enemy will be a hassle.
You CAN'T build a HQ in this tutorial-mission.
Oh, ye, tutorial: it will move your surcor and units automaticaly, and wait for you to click for some reason. Than without any warning, in the middle of a fight it'll stop doing it, and you should take over. Hope you got suprised. Fortunately you don't need your fighting units yet.
The controls are: left click is to select something, right click is to move, or bring up a menu.

Clan, mission 2: capture the Gen city
Briefing: Welcome, Prince! I'm glad to see that you have returned successfully from your first mission, but I have bad news. Our enemy has succeeded in intruding into the palace of your honoured father to steal our secret war plans. The spy Cho-Jin has been arrested, but he had already forwarded the plans to the enemy. Thanks to Lagus (he is the Good Wizard in the backstory, sentenced to immortality by the sect of Chaos) we have learned from Cho-Jin which harbour the plans have been sent to, but time is short. Bring back the plans as fast as possible, commander! You are our only hope!
NOTE: so technicaly we are Star Wars' Empire, lol.
The enemy is directly south of you, and the map is very small. Every level starts with a zerg-rush for mining locations, fortunately the enemy is slow yet. It'll still capture/start with the south-western mines, but don't mind those. Your goal is to capture the CITY, and that's it.
Good news is, none can re-build half-destroyed fortifications, so at first just shoot out ONE of its turrets - if it is completly destroxed, there's nothing it can do about it. To capture a city, you must send in a builder-shiőp I guess, just so you know.
Buildings in the cities are (if you build them):
- town hall: this improves the daily materials you get (this day-by-day progress only plays part until you build up your city, and yes, it is annoying), and will be needed to unlock more advanced buildings. Prime directive.
- garden, fountain: they do nothing aside eating your resources, but they are requirement for some buildings to buld.
- forts: yes, you need this
- shipyard: this builds your units. Only on advanced stages you'll be able to create 4 unit simultaneously. There's an icon to make it build continuously.
- workshop: most of the times you won't need this, but you can scrap your units for materials (bad idea), or repair surviving ships for the next assault.
- engineer: here you develop technolgies, meaninig units. What you want with the Clan is flying units, as those can attack EVERYTHING: ships, submarines, air units.
- wizards: you can develop spells. "Mostly Useless".
- market: you can exchange your resources to other resources.
- guild: if there's a trading post on the map, you must build trading ships, build this, put your materials on your trading ships, move them to the trading post, move the trading ships back to your city. The exchange-rate and variety will make this process a must.

About the autosave: it save every ingame day, or something, so do not rely on it!

Clan, misson 3: "get 500 raw material form the Guild"
Briefing: Well done, Commander! With your help we are now in the position to build a powerful fleet, which will drive the Gens once and for all from our territories. But because of the continuing attacks by the Gens, we are suffering from an increasing shortage of supplies and the situation is becoming more and more catastrophic. Fortunately there is a new settlement of the powerful Merchant Guild in the Blue Water region. Your father orders you to strenghten our position in this area, and start trading with this guild. We need 500 units of any of the raw materials to build our war fleet. Good luck, my prince!
Note: to trade with the Merchant Guild, you must build a guild office in your harbour. Further, you have to research design of merchant ships, and build one. To get offers from the Guild, left-click on the Guild-office to go to the trading screen. In the upper part of the screen offers from the Guild will be shown, costs at the top / profit at the bottom that can be cycled through with the right and left cursor keys. Bellow you can select the single piers. A merchant ship waiting at the pier can be loaded by clicking on it, and then confirming. To accept the deal, you only need to sail the ship out of the harbour. By right-clicking with the mouse on the Merchant Guild, you can always find out which kind and how many raw materials have been traded.
This tutorial-level will obviously introduce the Trading Posts (I'd be interrested in the ingame lore what faction this is), but I have no idea if just one of your stacks have to hit the 500 value, or bring in 500 material summed. I suspect you need to trade for one certain type of material from the bottom row of the materials listed, eg. paper or water-flasks, but this is mostly guessing.
Just so you know, there are no automatic segments in this.
The enemy is not very active, so you do not need warships. Still, if you find the time...
The mining locations, if you want any (I had none) are at the corners of the map.
If you sail directly south, you can build a second city. The enemy might send there a builder too, capturing YOUR city if it has no fortifications yet, but if you enter the location when THEY have no fortification yet, you get the city PLUS their construction-ship.
An unmentioned feature in this are the blueprint-eagle-islands. If any unit of yours manages to touch them, you get a free invention, don't even need to lower inventions to have. There's one just a bit to the southwest of your starting city, and one more way south of that. Neither are really needed, but you know.

Clan, mission 4: capture all Gen city! (from now on we'll go to the basics of RTS, I see)
Briefing: Greetings, my Prince! Congratulation on your successful operation on the Blue Water region. But once again I have some with very bad news. Thanks to their disgusting magical powers, the mutant Gens have succeeded in breaking into the King's palace and kidnapped Gunner the first! the King is still alive, but as soon as they transport him into their headquarters, they will have us in their grip. I cannot command you, but I implore you to rescue your father! Good luck, Commander!
Note: Use your abilities and win your first battle after this tutorial!
There is an eagle-island far to the souteast, you'll not get that. There are 3 cities, and they spam units on you, so position troops to the key narrow positions between islands and play for safety until you accumlate some numbers. You'll need 2-3 construction ships to repair stuff and cpature things. Once you have enough units, start destroying stuff. Watch out so your constructor has enough seconds from the day to capture the building.
Start mixing in submarines on the base that's more unit per hex. Oh, and you can stop visiting the merchants, you'll be able to rely on passive resources.
If you manage to capture the nearest city, the enemy will start to run out of units!
Problem is, the mission briefing lies, oyu have to destroy EVERY SINGLE UNIT on the map, not just capture each enemy city, and the map is so big, on the minimap the last surviving "hostile" unit will not be visible. Grrr.

Clan, mission 5 (first mission not marked as tutorial): "Repulse the Gens"
Briefing: Welcome, Commander! It hurts to tell you, the cowardly Gens have killed your honoured father and the king of our clan. May you have the strength to take revenge for his death! But now we must take action. Listen to me, Commander: the cursed Gens have conquered one of our outposts, and they started plundering our outer colonies! We must stop them. I entrusted you with my fleet, my Prince. You have to hurry. If the mutants start destroying the outpost there won't be much to get back.
If you go south, you'll be able to capture 3 mines. I'd check what if you go west first, you might be able to capture the mine there first (then come back and capture the mines you'd capture anyway).
The enemy doesn't make much effort, but does have attacking flyers occasionaly. Force-attack them with your troops to lessen their factor.
TIP: when you capture a city, you might want NOT to build a fort to it, so you can capture the AI's builders. This is cheap, but whatever!
Note: do not stop trading with the merchs until you captrue the other city (there's only one on the southeast), else you'll run low on material (you basicaly only need the first three: gold, tools and wood, the others are just things to exchange for).
Btw, if it was not clear, you only need 1 wizard school, and 1 engineer (though engineer is requirement for the repair-building, so you might end up with more).

Clan, mission 6: War! Kill all hostile Gens! (All Gens will be hostile)
Briefing: The attack was a great success, my commander! It was a real pleasure to see the Gens fleeing cowardly. The war council has asked me to ensure you of their full support. There should be no obstacles chasing the enemy's forces. But we should start quickly annihilating the Gens before the mutants are scattered around and hard to find. The council has sent you another fleet for your command, that should set you in the position to exterminate the backward Gens. Good luck, Commander!
This map is relatively small, and has no trading post. the enemy city is on the northwest. I think your job is to eliminate all units - because I had enemy mines around when the victory board came up.
Btw, start going northwest for a mine, then move towards the southwest corner capturing 3 mines, this'll maximise your income. Do NOtá spend resources fastening research, but use your trading facility inside the city to cover your needs. Build the usual war-baloons.

Clan, mission 7: Trapped! Stay alive for 50 days.
Briefing: It was a trap, commander! The Gens have concentrated a big fleet in this area, and they are eager to kill you, and to destroy your fleet. To top it all, the Cytex have become aware of you, and their forces are closing up quickly. Try to survive as long as possible, as I have sent reinforcements. But I am afraid they won't make it at the right time. I will pray for you.
Because the AI is not very good, technicaly speaking this is a very easy mission: just manouver one of your airship to a corner of the map, and they'll never find you!
On the other hand, let's do it properly: build a city at the starting location, and start capturing mines, as many as possible to delay the enemy. they are all around the equator of the map, so it's a smooth sail. Do NOT try to defend the mines, it is hopless and needless. Position your troops instead at your city, where start developing the town hall, the workshop, and invent the flying corsairs (your attack baloons), because those are the least susceptible to damage. Then just camp there, bringing out your construction ship to fix the towers of the city, and if possible collect the wreckage of the ship sunk.
NOTE: if you didn't notice until now, if you are within the city as the player, the time does not move, so allocating cargo, deciding what to build is not problematic.
NOTE there is a merchan post on the map - you won't be able to use it.
Lastly: technicaly speaking, the enemy will run out of forces around Day 40, lol. Just look at the charts at the end how many ships each party had at the victory (50 days passed). This is the first time too when the Cytex shows up, but they are simply another enemy city, so whatever.

Clan, mission 8: New technologies: find the eagle rocks.
Briefing: Commander! I am glad to see you alive. We all feared that you were lying on the bottom of the sea. It seems the Council underestimated your strategic abilities. But the fights during the last weeks have proven, that we need more advanced technologies to come off a winner in this war. The mighty Lagus has ordered me to give you the coordinates of the region where some eagle rocks might be located. These rocks are hidingplaces of time-honoured magicians. We might find some scrolls and writings in their catacombs helping us to win against our enemies. I wish you good luck, Commander!
Seems this Lagus-fellow is really into Pureblood Humans. Also nice we get an explanation on the eagle-islands.
For this mission you won't be able to build anything, but touch 4? Or maybe just the last Eagle Island - the first 3 will give extra units, the last has the condition "Victory" written on it. Unfortunately, airbaloons can't touvh these things.
The first island is directly north, then go N-NW, then NE, then to the NW corner. but you might as well not give a darn to anything but the last island, because all you get are 2 basic ships from each island, no innovation, and you are definitely not able to fight through the enemy lines. What you should do instead is start sailing, and never stop. Turn off the AI-button even. Keep pushing to the islands. The islands can not be touched by fliers or submarines, but can be touched by any regular ship, you don't need to preserve your construction ship. And no, it's hopeless trying to repair units during battle. One: the AI will always move away your constructoor from enemy fire, but if you turn it off, your troops need to make fire manualy. Also, trying to repair troops under each other is a nightmare, does not work out as it should. Btw, what really messes up this mission are the enemy submarines, which are hard to target at (your normal ships can't hit them), and they have quit an amount of HP, so just fok em.

Clan, mission 9: Secrets: Sail to the shipyard on V-island!
Briefing: You have been usccessful again, Commander! These new technologies should help us fight back our enemies on the battlefield. Good job, but now to something completely different. The great Lagus has informed us, that once there have been a weapon of mass-destruction, called Golem. It changed Earth into what it is now. It had been created by the unscrupulous magican Debagh, and after its one and only activation, it has been taken apart. If we succeed in rebuilding a smaller version of this machine, we had the right weapon to finally defeat our enemies. Lagus knows, that this would save the lives of a lot of men, and thus he transmitted us the coordinates of a shipyard, where part of the Golem's contruction had taken place. Find this shipyard and bring us the blueprints, Commander. But be cautious: as well as Gens and Cytex are operating in the same area.
Note: dunno who this Debagh. I though he's the ancient Chaos-wizard, but that was Woogonnis.
On this map the Gen and the Cytex are against each other, not that it'd matter too much, or would be noticeable during the forst could tendays. The city-to-capture is just a screen east from the very center of the map, and is heavily fortified, so don't get hopes.
You'll be able to capture 3 mines: start going a bit norteast, then go a bit northwest from your city, then go a couple screen east. All the others are lost cause, though there are eg. 4 more mines to the north, but there are simply too many enemies. Also, the eastern mine will be crucial, as a ton of enemy will arrive to it. You'll need to upgrade it soon to 2nd level of fortress to be able to repell the enemy, and it'll likely still require a ton of repairs, so make another constructor just in case.
I see no merchant guild. (Built a scout ship and sent it around using reload to test the waters.)
You'll do a heluva lot of micromanaging with this one, try not to miss any day in your city. The "port" it wants as requirement is done from the worldmap, not from the city.
Did I tell you there's a cycle-button in the shipyard which makes production of ships continuous? Also, there is a straight arrow there, which puts all ship on the water in front of your city instead of filling your harbour.
Well, when you start to have a SMALL army, the AI will start to hit you wave after wave. There'll be a LOT of micramanaging. Sell everything for wood what is not tool or gold!
For inventions, you'll get way bigger blueprints than you previously had, and I mean a lot of it. The goal is to develop the latest airship and submarine, and set production 1 and 1 (not enough material for more).
Oh, what to build: make every building max level! They actualy produce a very tiny sum of material, but on the long term, and even on the medium termit'll profit out, and you are resource-hungry.
tbh, I suspect the Gens get units by spawning from thin air, so while my startegy was to clean the west side of the map from them, they returned, and captured my northern mines. I was either allowing them to do so, or progress with the level. The goal is to capture the Gen City, or whatever, but it is just a victory-object without forifications. Problem is, it is on an island, you can ONLY approach from the north, where a (the?) Gen city resides - they again, I'm at this point convinced the Gen ships are not coming from there, but from thin air. Whatever, capture it for convenience-sake and on principle, then ride in the victory-condition wih your constructor.
Not on units: these 2nd grade units are no longer omni. The ships and subs still only attack ships and subs, the airship stop attacking subs, so only attacks air units and ships. Actualy, there is an "Air Fortress" unit, which exclusively attacks air units! It is a pretty terrible bargain, but I cani magine in rosource-depraved environment where there are lots of enemy flyers, it can be useful. but mostly skip it.

Last edited by twillight; 05-03-2023 at 01:41 PM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight