Thread: WWI Medic
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well Darth, your arguments against a WW1 FPS are just plain sad.

Some of them are:

- Trench warfare is boring, it would be better if it would be about stealth.
- The weapon were crude, slow, and there were few machine guns.
- No nazis! Holy fuck! Who will we kill?!!!! (The saddest of them...)
And the last one:

"Everyone of my points is a carefully thought out reason for why it could not be a fast paced FPS but rather why it would need to be a much slower stealth based one."

I'm not sure how many WW1 movies you have seen, but the Lost Battalion clearly shows us how much action they could get out of those shitty guns and shitty, boring, not perfectly evil or perfectly good people.
You forgot about bayonet charges, which were the core part of early 20th century warfare. If you think it is impossible to implement bayonet or sword fights in videogames, probably you've been living under a rock for the past ten years, which I doubt. Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault (2004), The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (2002), and Call of Duty (2003) with it's close-quarter combat all proved that WW1 bayonet and swordfights are perfectly possible.
Yesterday night I played some TF2 with TC on a melee weapon only map, and it was a lot of fun, and I had more adrenaline than on shooting maps.
Also WW1 battlefields featured a lot of experimental weapons, such as flamethrowers, tanks, and there were even shotguns, along with the aforementioned SMGs and Maxim mounted machine guns. What about gas attacks? Airplanes, anyone? ZEPPELINS?!!
How the damn fuck could that be any boring, there were as many battlefield as in WW2, the people behind The Trench 1916 could build up an entire franchise.
Also, not having a "clearly evil enemy" is good because now we could play as Germans, something I always missed from WW2 games. Your ignorance wouldn't let you play that though Darth, so I guess that isn't much of a feature for you. I wouldn't like to begin a fight over how evil those people were, because you'd never admit that most of the Wermacht contained people just like anyone, fighting for their families, and that only a very little part of the entire German army were involved in shameful actions.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, Darth:

You act like you haven't seen my link to the upcoming WW1 FPS with the promising screenshots and videos...

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!

Last edited by Tracker; 04-08-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Missing something important
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker