Thread: Warcraft II
View Single Post
Old 20-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

The instructions on the download/review page does mention that the game must be mounted so that it's in a C:\WAR2\ folder inside DOSBox. But I guess it can be misunderstood to mean real instead of virtual location, I'll see if I can rephrase that, but this is always tricky for people. Scatty's commands would work if you skip the "mount d ..." one, as war2.bat mounts its own CD. Although it isn't recommended in general to mount your whole actual hard disk in DOSBox; it would be better something like "mount c c:\dos", if you put the game at "c:\dos\war2"

This archive's not original, it was made by Horseman, including the war2.bat loader. The CDs (the one for Tides of Darkness and the other one for the expansion) are included as folders and mounted by this script, and that's why you have to select which to play before starting the game, and you can't swap them without exiting the game, the way the archive is prepared.

Other approaches are possible, for example DOSBox allows several CDs to be prepared for mounting, by passing multiple arguments to a single mount command, and then swap them at any time with Ctrl+F4...

Last edited by Japo; 20-06-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo