View Single Post
Old 17-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #446
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue (and Time/Darkness)

I tried to hunt down one of these games, and first had to face, Red is only available for the gen which has terrible emulators. Fotunately the same game Blue is available for the DS-console as well as Time/Darkness.

Time/Darkness asit turned out very similar to Red/Blue, but it has a certain lack of spark from it. It is a perfectly fine game, don't mind me, might even be more chiselled in some aspects, primalythe gameplay, but overal, it is justa good kids'-game. No problem there, but I just know better.

Because Red/Blue is better. It is very-very-very good storytelling. The jokes hit, the awkward moments are perfect, there's the emotinal tone, there isn't form the start a "save the world"-scenario, it is chiselled from the story-telling aspect to the point like there's a "dojo", aka. practice battles. No items, just mindless grinding in the middle of the town. The NPC tells you, "All the participants are volunteers. All they expect in return is, when they need, you go into the rescue". You know, 'cause the titleis "rescue team", and your role is a member (leader/subleader) of a rescue-team!

Gameplay-wise there are some not-so-good things though, like the dungeon-crawling gets old after not long, especialy as there's no difficulty-change between the levels.The backpack-limit is annoying as heck. I think there's some bugged fights, like Zapdos could fry my mudkip with electricity once, ot the Rock-dojo's "pinecone" just don't want to get hurt by water (it in theory should suffer 4*dmg from it), and the Water-dojo is just way too strong.
The "buy habitat" feature is also just to ruin your life, and the recruit method, and recruit-usage is just tedious and doesn't rly work. For me at least. Like you can have, dunno, 386 recruits, but they don't level with you unless you bring them to missions too? That's just stupid.

But if you can tolerate the bit dull mechanics, it definitely worth a go, as it is nice, and rly tells the story excellent.