View Single Post
Old 23-05-2004, 03:19 PM   #6
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yeah, I knew about that list, and I am aware that some games on this site ARE still being sold, but think about this:
Let's say you have a kid, and he wants to play a civilization game. So he heads off to google, writes civilization (or finds it in his favorite PC magazine), then he ends up on the Atari site and buys Civilization 3. The chance that he bumps into Civilization 1, and decides to BUY it after he sees how it looks like is equal to ZERO. So, the only possible buyer for such a game would be a hardcore fan, who would buy it only because of some sentimental reasons. There could be no other motive since today's civ games are both better looking and more advanced. So, if a person decides to buy the game for such reasons, the fact that it can be downloaded freely is NOT going to change his/her mind. That is why I think it is pointless for companies to pursue the rights to such games at full extent, and that is why they don't do it. I could put up ALL of the games from that list to the site, and no company would ask me to remove them, I'm certain of this. So if a game or two from that list appears here, it doesn't matter. No one will mind
Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta