View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 02:02 AM   #164
Vanshilar
Abandonia nerd

I've (mostly) figured out how the initial map creation process works, and put the results in a graphic attached here.

Each faction can start in one of 3 possible locations. The Pope starts with 3 territories; each can be at 1 of 4 possible locations. Each of those sets have a different pattern (solid color, horizontal stripes, or vertical stripes).

If the commodities is set to "Balanced", then the resource type is dictated by the castle size in the graphic (no castle, Partial Castle, Small Castle, or Large Castle), with each castle size corresponding to one of the resources. Note that it's not exactly even; there are 10 "Small Castles" and 8 "Large Castles". So once you know one of them, you know where all the territories are for that resource type.

If the commodities is set to "Geographic", then the resource type depends on the type shown in the graphic. An "F" represents plains, which has a 75% chance of being food, otherwise it will be iron or gold (never timber). A "T" represents forest, which has a 75% chance of being timber, otherwise it will be iron or gold (never food). A "G" represents mountains, which has a 50% chance of being iron and 50% chance of being gold (never food nor timber).

I didn't look into what if the commodities is set to "Random", I assume then the resources are randomly generated but didn't verify this.

The numbers are the territory ID's. You can see this order if you tab through the territories during the game. (Beware though, if you tab during a plot or other actions while the lower right window is active, you may break the game including breaking any save games saved after doing so.)

Since gold is the most important resource, if you're playing on "Geographic", then Valois is probably the best option since it puts you close to the largest number of mountain territories. Just make sure you scout ahead so you know which one is the Pope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Castles2MapCreation.png
Views:	573
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	2097  
Vanshilar is offline                         Send a private message to Vanshilar