View Single Post
Old 20-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
TimP

Followup - got my own wiz1 characters patched in and imported successfully. Well, I think so - is it right that they lose ALL equipment on the move? I thought it was just stuff like the bear statue and blue ribbon, maybe some of the elite items like muramasa blade too. But it's been a very very long time. I've forgotten much more important stuff since I last had access to these games.

I couldn't figure out a high level scheme for swapping my 320k WIZ1.DSK file into this archives version that uses a 320k WIZn.DSK plus 640k SAVEn.DSK. So I got a decent binary diff trial program and freeware binary editor (frhed) and manually merged the parts that were clearly associated with character data from my WIZ1.dsk to this new SAVE1.DSK. I patched one other section that looked like inventory counts for Boltac's - probably of no use even if I do visit Werdna again, but relatively easy. I would not recommend this if you are inexperienced with hex view and editing, but there seem to be no tricky parts with checksums or even differences in offsets or data structures in the mostly identical first half of these files.