Thread: Saccade
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

Now impersonating another user's (DarthHelmet86) name while posting as guest:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Helmet View Post
What's really sad is that the guy came back and was transparent about everything, highlighting exactly what the issue was and how simple it was to cause a problem for many people.

With the state of the place, a syn-flood might have taken the whole webserver offline...

I don't believe it was the same guy as last time - what kind of idiot does the same thing twice, after saying they did it?

What is childish is to not be adult enough to not give someone a second chance after several years and for a keyboard warrior to flex their muscles.

But then... what are you going to do..? Vet every user that signs in?
Block every IP/range? (is that your only strategy for defense? Because it stinks and isn't preventative)

I believe it was not revenge - it was a statement that this site is running on http, on an Apache/2.2.14 Ubuntu server since april and is full of holes.

Heaven forbid that someone would do the same thing to 5.79.76.136 / files.abandonia.com using a bot-net. Only 1.9k out of the 3.9k visitors to abandonia.com actually find what they are looking for and get off there... This has plummeted. (Thanks GoG, you legal pirates)

There's even the issue of reloaded.org being on the same server as abandonia... So, effectively - that's a way to get through to abandonia, while (for someone who might not care) using reloaded.org as an entry point.

Abandonia earns the owners roughly 1450 euros per month. Through slave labour.
Reloaded, a little less - the file hosts, less also.

Therefore, in order to protect from such downtime - because if someone wanted to use a bot-net to cripple the site and files - it might be worthwhile looking in at some professional protection.

Or at least learning a little about the world of internet and gaming and tomfoolery that's available to people in 2018, rather than 2008.

It's a shame that Kosta sold out and it's now a business - otherwise it would be free..:
https://www.cloudflare.com/plans/

However, any kind of DDoS protection is not going to stop a user taking advantage of such an open system and an old vbulliten forum from which someone decided to steal all the passwords and emails (you guys don't make many friends, huh..? nor upgrade the vbulliten to a more secure version...). Also, obfuscated IP's can be reached without such protection, so...

It was only because it was christmas and I fancied playing some old text-adventures that I returned to the site to discover there was a ban in place from several years ago (there are many others "abandonware" sites now... can play most of these games in browsers or get DRM free from GoG-pirate pirates).

There is very little community here, compared to what there used to be... and it is rather sad to see how the place has crumbled over the years.

Yet, when someone decides to take a few hours out of their time to try and contribute, the only way to bring to light these things is through methods such as this. Then they get smacked down even harder - good job, guys - that's the spirit!

Sorry if I embarassed you Gx, but - why would I need a ban lifted in order to gain an account here and contribute - how do you now I am not a sock puppet working hard on the Abandoned Times..?

Asking about a ban was merely a courtesy.

There may be some lovely people here (ola, privet, ciao und halo), but the guys in green suck harder than a vacuum in a jar.

After this episode - I find it difficult to understand why anyone would want to involve themselves with these people or contribute to the place, when there are many more deserving projects..?

Mm excluded.

(incidentally, from South and North America, the connection time is very slow - it even said waiting for socket. Evidently someone has read the post and decided to have a go).

Have a happy new year, all.

It's 40+ degrees here, so I hope it's not as hot as to fry eggs on the computer case where you are.

Bye!

Last edited by Japo; 08-01-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo