View Single Post
Old 18-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
Scatty
Treasure hunter

If your machine is one of the more recent, strong types, gaming-optimized with strong CPU / GPU etc, I'd set the cycles to something about 45.000-65.000, at least for Blood since it was a CPU-intensive game for the hardware of it's time. Other two probably won't need nearly as much, something like 25.000-35.000 should be enough.
AUTO setting never worked for me on DosBox 0.74 (always kept at the default value of 3.000 cycles) for any game, but maybe it does on the newer DosBox 0.75.

For CPU type you can set it safely to cputype=pentium_slow, it would be probably the fastest setting, unless it's some older games which might have a problem with anything but 386_slow (I've had some of those). 386 setting had the most problems for me with many games, so I usually don't use that one.

Core setting should be always on core=dynamic, unless some game doesn't work with it, but that would be very rare. It's the best setting which provides the most speed, and I've had no problems with it yet ever since DosBox 0.73, otherwise just set it to core=normal or core=auto.

Also you should set xms= and ems= settings at the bottom to
xms=true
ems=true

to enable extended memory, any game from about 1991-92 on uses that to have more memory abvailable for it. Rarely, some games might have a problem with ems=true, in that case set it to false.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty