View Single Post
Old 19-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Default Little insight required about "modern" computer industry

Okay, here is the deal: my computer is slowly dying. There might still be a few years left in it since it was very high quality when I bought it... But it is already 10 years old and it won't get younger. So, long story short, I went to my preferred local shop (which happen to be the same one than where I got this computer) and began chatting with the guy for a new replacement.

So, knowing that I'd still want to play old games with my computer and knowing all the problems which can arise when trying to play 32 bits games on a 64 bits machine, I decided to go with a dual boot install with two distinct HD. Then, knowing XP would not really work well with multiple cores, I asked for a powerful single core. I expected at least 2 Ghz minimum...

Turns out that there is not even single cores left in the "modern" industry anymore? What's this? I'm simply astounded to realize it. The best I seem to be able to get right now is a two cores 2.9 ghz... Considering the computer I'm typing on right now is 1.8ghz and that 2.9ghz divided by 2 is 1.45... It actually appears to me, as far as my knowledge is concerned about the whole thing, that I'll never be able to replace my computer up to the same level than the one I bought frigging 10 years ago!

Something must be wrong here. There has to be something I don't understand which make up for it. This is where I hope the tech savy people around here will be able to help. A little help understanding this please?

Thank you.