View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #72
citizen_lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
I'm not sure whether expert or difficult is harder to beat. Granted, the AI gets the same amount of realism as you do, but as human player you can adapt better.
Any stages when you play defense is generally easier on Expert than in Difficult, because the enemy has fewer chances to level up their heavy artillery to the point where the geometric growth starts to have an effect. The best example is Anturox ("The Attack"). On Expert, concealment and ballistic rules are so realistic and powerful that despite having 1 artillery for every 5 the enemy has, you have nearly no risk of losing if you set up a tight defense with adequate radar cover and do not be tempted to leeroy into the enemy's territory. Once you have the UX-2 missiles, it becomes a slaughter. I managed to win that stage despite actually leeroyed into the enemy on turn 18 and nearly got all of my tanks killed...

The only obvious rule that I have deduced is that the faction that is defending, but has terrain advantage (difficult terrain between him and the attackers) is the most powerful in Expert.

That's why to me the most difficult stage by far on Expert is Woringa, which I won by a combination of luck and unorthodox strategy. Second most difficult was Britigi. And third was Hasenol.

The easiest two are Anturox (you are the defender, and you have terrain on your side! The enemy stood no chance.) and Dronnox (attack across flat ground, and you have the capability to make jammer tanks!)