View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #3374
Japo
Autonomous human

Destroying walls is very time consuming and isn't so easy or reliable depending on your weapon choice, specially for UFO hulls which only blaster bombs can damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
That is true. But if I remember well, there is a 2-handed DISadvantage if you have something in your offhand and the weapon you are using is 2-handed.
Yes it's -20% to accuracy. But the point is that if you shoot from both hands with whatever weapon you use the same TUs as if you shoot twice from one hand. Oskatat seemed to imply otherwise, and it's indeed different in Apocalypse in real time.

Because of this it's a non factor whether the weapon is 1- or 2-handed. If I have to fire with a soldier that's carrying something in his left hand I just drop it, the cost is 2 TUs which is virtually free, and it doesn't cause aliens to react. Picking it up again is a little more costly (8 TUs) but not so much, and I can do it in the following turn, and after the immediate area is clear I could waste a whole turn if I wanted.

Also if you think a laser pistol must be a better weapon than a laser rifle held with one hand: auto fire, laser pistol 38.6 expected damage per burst, 154.6 per turn; laser rifle held in one hand 82.8 x 0.8 = 66.2 per burst, 243.5 x 0.8 = 194.8 per turn. And again there's no reason that could force you to fire a rifle with one hand since you can drop what you're holding in the other one at no cost, as I said.

I'm mentioning values per burst as well as per turn because if an alien isn't killed by your attack it will fire back before you can fire a second time.

Last edited by Japo; 01-07-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo