View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
Not sure how this GUS patch is useful today (yes, I had GUS back then, believe it or not! it was Windows that effectively killed this card). Maybe I'm not using it properly but it seems that the game loads MT-32 instrument patches, something that DOSBOX already emulate.
Not long ago I've bumped into this patch and used its principle to build by own version, which works well with DOSBox (haven't tested it on real GUS hardware though). It uses the General MIDI version of the soundtrack to pretty nice results. You can get the patch (and more info) here:
http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/21642-...und-in-dosbox/

I've also built GUS support into the latest version of Super Dune II Classic.

Quote:
How about a dedicated thread to such tweaks? Of course early games use hardcoded ways to talk to sound card, however later ones use HMI or Miles Sound System. When a game has GUS missing, you could sometimes replace the drivers using those from a newer game to gain support.
I know there's a GUS patch for Wolfenstein 3-D, as well user-made patches for some other games. I first got the Dune II and Wolfenstein 3-D patches here, a quick look into that folder also shows GUS fixes for Master of Magic, Master of Orion, Warcraft and some others.

Quote:
Other example: I've noticed that American McGee's Alice (which has 3D sound) uses the same drivers/sound engine as Medal of Honor: Allied Assault with addons (which doesn't have 3D sound). Simply copying drivers and adding lines to config file enabled 3D effects (bullets whizzing by!) in MoH!
No wonder, they both use the same engine, id Tech 3.