View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Red Fortress
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Funny that you're more alarmed about private corporations than the government (without a court warrant), specially since this is a purely legal matter and corporations would be powerless without the government's enforcing this privilege for them.
The reason behind my concern is the power that Corporations and their Trade Associations hold over parts of the US Government through techniques such us Lobbying Groups and the Revolving Door.

I'm afraid that this law will turn into a “We Aim, You Shoot” kind of deal, with Companies using the Government to take down loads of Sites that they dislike.

Quote:
True that governments everywhere are looking at harsher and more intrusive copyright laws every day, however since ever Abandonia will stop hosting any game if we only received a letter from the copyright owner, with no need for any legal procedure. So we're not one of the defiant websites that are likely to be targeted by this--although I haven't read any of it. We don't offer any contend and we have remained in the abandonware business all this time precisely because abandonware is abandoned, that is nobody cares.
Under the new law they don't have to show that the site is "defiant", only that its main purpose is "infringing activities".

That is pretty vague, and can be stretched to cover all sorts of stuff...

Read this on the ESA's Site: Link

Plus this article From gamepolitics.com:
ESA Altered Wikipedia Entries on Mod Chips, Abandonware

That sound like they think abandonware should not exsist at all ...

If they were to get a "kill switch", whats to stop them using it on us?

Last edited by Red Fortress; 06-09-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Red Fortress is offline                         Send a private message to Red Fortress