Thread: Metal
View Single Post
Old 26-06-2005, 12:40 PM   #1
Flop
Hero Gamer

I thought a topic about metal would be prudent, since it seems that a lot of members here like the harder kind of music. I am huge metal fan myself, although I've never really managed to understand all the subgenres. Hence I just refer to any kind of hard rock as metal (although I realise that soft metal, like Nightwish for example, exists, and I like that too).

So anything goes, start any kind of metal discussion, or just list your favourite metal bands (although I use metal in the widest sense possible, please refrain from discussing bands such as N-sync, or artists such as Britney Spears ).

My personal favourites:

- Katatonia (right at the top of my list where they belong, they're simply amazing and I regret never having had the chance to see them live)
- Metallica (untill and including the black album they simply ruled supreme)
- Iron Maiden (Anything with Bruce Dickinson is great, their two first albums with what's-his-name are pretty good too, the rest sucks)
- Black Sabbath (by many considered the first heavy metal band ever, I like everything they did with Ozzy)
- Nightwish (just excellent. Can't really think of anything else to say)
- Sonata Arctica (same as above)
- Cradle of Filth (This is a secret pleasure of mine. I've learned to live with the shame and ridicule that usually follows when people find out I like them )
- Manowar (another secret pleasure. I've seen them live twice and they truly rock)
- AC/DC (they've made so many good tracks and albums that I just had to include them)

I'd like to put many more on that list, but it has to stop somewhere, so consider those my absolute favourites.

I'm sometimes a bit sad that I live in Denmark, since it seems that metal is completely overlooked here. It seems to me that everywhere else in Europe they have metal-only festivals, they have lots of metal concerts and lots of metal bars. In Copenhagen we have 1 (one!) rock bar, and they they charge an entrance price, the infidels! We have a pretty good yearly music festival called Roskilde festival, and they usually have a few metal bands there, but that's it. It seems that in Sweden, Norway, Germany, Belgium, Holland, etc. you have a ton of metal festivals, but not here, sadly.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop