View Single Post
Old 29-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
kittybrod
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
1: install dosbox 0.72, you don't need to deinstall older versions, will install in its own folder and create its own startmenu items.
*Don't copy your old dosboxconfig into it should you have your mounts added or such, they're not compatible cross-version, edit the new one manually( IF needed).*
2: Did you INSTALL the game in dosbox?
3: rerun sound setup in dosbox and choose SB or better instead of Gravis. If you use autodetect disable GUS in dosboxconfig first.

4: Still problems? More details, your mount lines (ALL of them), inputs, config choices ... etcetera.

Don't use Gravis, as stated in the dosbox readme, it's the worst choice you can make. Dosbox does NOT include GUS drivers out of the box.

Game doesn't find the files it needs.
Sounds as a borked mount, do you mount a folder as virtual C and then cd gamefolder?
How do you mount your CDdrive?
Okay, I hadn't realized they came out with a newer version, I have been playing other games lately. I will do that. No I installed the game through WinXP because I hate going through the mount process for my CD rom. I run dosbox with the normal config, I don't edit it as I am not quite sure what I am doing.

I will rerun the sound setup, for both games, when they finished installing through WinXP they did the sound setup and found Soundblaster, I NEVER selected Gravis, nor did I even see that as an option. I always use Soundblaster as my sound, or pc speaker if Ican't find soundblaster...

I use mount c c:\
and the C:
and then go to where the games are, I have MOST of the games in a folder called dosgames on my desktop, but menzo and darksun both installed themselves under C:\

I don't mount folders because I am not sure what games I am going to play at times, and so it is easier to mount c and then go from there (I grew up on dos and rememember enough of it to not mess my computer up)

I will try those tomorrow, thanks for the help, and see if they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
As Dosraider mentionned, I think your best bet would be to install those games directly from DOSBox. The tricky part is, of course, that if you don't mount your hard drive(s) directly (not recommended if you don't know what you are doing) then you will need to mount the drives exactly in the same way than the installation process the next time you'll want to play.

Always aim for SoundBlaster (the older, the easier for DOSBox to detect... But I usually use SoundBlaster Pro fine with most games) when you install the game, and such "modern" games will all have an autodetect feature anyways. Use that first, tweak as needed if it doesn't work.

If the games still don't work then post back here. There is probably some special memory tweaks to do in DOSBox for them to work well, and I suspect that Menzoberanzan is likely to need some.
Like I said before I always use Soundblaster as well, and that is what my computer always autodetects. I don't know HOW it got to gravis...

I will try reinstalling the games through dosbox and then doing the sound detection through dosbox and see if that will work for menzo. Dark Sun says it needs more conventional memory, so I am not sure this will work for it..

Thanks for all the help, and I will let you know if that works for me
kittybrod is offline                         Send a private message to kittybrod