View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Thanks for the research!

That setup file may be the most useful thing for the average user with patched game. Under DOSBOX I found SoundBlaster Pro + Sound Canvas the most pleasing combination.

Not sure how this GUS patch is useful today (yes, I had GUS back then, believe it or not! it was Windows that effectively killed this card). Maybe I'm not using it properly but it seems that the game loads MT-32 instrument patches, something that DOSBOX already emulate.

While I'm reserved towards most mods and hacks, I find sound tweaks harmless and useful.

How about a dedicated thread to such tweaks? Of course early games use hardcoded ways to talk to sound card, however later ones use HMI or Miles Sound System. When a game has GUS missing, you could sometimes replace the drivers using those from a newer game to gain support.

Other example: I've noticed that American McGee's Alice (which has 3D sound) uses the same drivers/sound engine as Medal of Honor: Allied Assault with addons (which doesn't have 3D sound). Simply copying drivers and adding lines to config file enabled 3D effects (bullets whizzing by!) in MoH!
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS