View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #18
Lothyr

Thumbs up

Hello Fellow Iso Cellar Visitors:

Thanks to the folks who made this and other old games available.

I had bought Birthright many years ago, but due to a poor PC at the time, the game lost interest for me {bugs, etc.}. 15 years later, I am back in Anuire(sp?) and loving it. That game, although poorly rec'd, has a huge value for me just based on the huge amount of text that can be perused. Just interesting reading imho.

So, I just wanted to leave a few tips on setting up Birthtright: The Gorgon's Alliance on a newer machine for those who might have a similar rig to me.

Graphics on a Wide Screen LCD:

I tested out several options, and this one gives a pretty good interface:

1) If you can, set your monitor to 4:3 aspect
2) Birthright was originally 640x480 {4:3 aspect} - my widescreen was set up as 16:9 but when I want to play Birthright I switch to a resolution of 1280x960...after changing aspect to 4:3 - it is not the BEST but we're talking DOS graphics...Black borders on East/West sides of my screen.
3) open dosbox's config option batch file and enter w/e settings you need, in graphics, if your setup is like mine, this worked very nicely:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=0x0
windowresolution=0x0
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

machine=svga_s3

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

The graphics end up filling the screen area that they can and have crisp graphics much as if the game was at original resolution...

If your having trouble mounting the game:

Autoexec:

mount C c:\0dos
mount D F:\ -t cdrom
c:
cd \sierra\
birthrt

Of course you would need to install the game to a folder called 0dos on your c: drive, after mounting the game ISO via Daemon tools or w/e as a D: virtual CD drive...as far as I am aware, the DOS version of the game doesn't allow use of the Character Editor that Sierra still has available on the Help page

The Chared.exe requires a Windows NT version of the game, and as I am running DOS, this is not working for me as yet, if I find the solution I'll post back here...

The details on the graphics I give credit to an Indian fellow who posted a YouTube video about setting up Dosbox to use a widescreen LCD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo1PaNf3y7Q
Lothyr is offline                         Send a private message to Lothyr