View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
Mahiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaten View Post
oh right, I was looking for this too, but got distracted.
I thought that maybe this was going to be something particularly obscure or undocumented, especially if it was software specifically targeted towards young girls. Similar to Building Panic and other Japanese shareware titles, a lot of major sites are missing useful data on such games, making them difficult to search for. But as usual, I was overthinking it.

Based on your description, I'm pretty sure this is Secret Agent Barbie*, a 2001 Windows game that seems to fit the criteria quite well.
There's dozens and dozens of Barbie games, and they make up just a small portion of a massive intellectual property universe too big for any one mortal to comprehend. So unless you were already thinking of Barbie, I feel it's only human nature to unconsciously dismiss the idea that you're actually looking for Barbie... well, whatever.

*(Wikipedia lists it as Secret Agent Barbie: Jewels Case, but I suspect this is some erratic mash up of the subtitle of the GBA spin-off ("Royal Jewels Mission") and the packaging that the PC CD would be contained in with or without outer box, a jewel case)

Here are the specific bits that seem to match up:
*Pink-dominated cover
*200X release
*Aimed at young girls
*Stealth/spying theme
*3D, third-person
*Multiple outfits
*Various secret agent tech toys to play with, like Pink-Vision Glasses, as detailed in the manual
*Based on some YouTube comments, more than a few people seem to remember the game as having excellent graphics, which may indicate the specific shade of pink the glasses use

Speaking of YouTube, there's a number of snippets and playthroughs available there. This playlist offers the game in unlabeled ~10 minute chunks, while this longplay is two hours but has a useful index of timestamps identifying each section of the game.

Assuming I've guessed the correct game, there are a few options if you're planning on revisiting it. If you're willing to spend a fair bit of cash, it looks like there are still copies of the game available on sites like Amazon. And of course, there are various internet archives where people freely and illicitly post such things, for the apparent purpose of preservation, and you only need search for them. That said, playing a 3D Windows game from 2001 can be a battle in itself... or sometimes they just work. Best of luck.

Oh my God ! I can't believe it
How did you do that ? Who are you an angel ?!
I've been looking for it for years and all I got is nothing.. and you only found it on your first try ! And from this very simple information !!!!
The only thing I can believe is that you're a ghost from my past and you searched my mind and caught it's name from my visual memories.

I don't know if the word "thank you" is enough to express how happy I am to get this game.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Mahiro is offline                         Send a private message to Mahiro