View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
CatherineMcClarey

Lightbulb A drastic solution to underdeveloped PC skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineMcClarey View Post
It looks like your PCs can try again to complete the job of shutting down all of the data cells in the RAM prison's computer (at least once at each of the 4 terminals in the room), so it may be possible to get part of the job done, save that much (at a different save position than the one just before you started the process), and repeat at each terminal until the job's done. There seems to be a maximum of 6 attempts allowed, though, before you get the dreaded message that "Scott.dos is dead." Thus, this room may be merely insanely difficult to complete successfully (rather than impossible), if you only have 1 PC with Programming skill, and only at a mediocre level like mine.
(That thumping noise you may be hearing is me banging my head against the wall over this silly thing!)
If I get frustrated enough, I could just reload my saved character party from Countdown to Doomsday and restart Matrix Cubed from scratch. I was thinking how nice it would be to have a skills list table one could mark up offline with which PC has what skill, and at what level. Printing out or copying the section on Skills from the Matrix Cubed logbook (p. 9-13 of the original book/p. 7-9 of the ReplacementDocs scanned PDF version) accomplishes a lot of that, although setting that list up as a chart (database?/handdrawn on graph paper?) with columns for each PC to mark their levels in each skill, would be even better. Having the "big picture" in front of you like that would certainly help in building a balanced and successful character party.
CatherineMcClarey is offline                         Send a private message to CatherineMcClarey