View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 01:29 AM   #23
Parkingtigers

This game was responsible for one of the most anti-climatic gaming experiences of my life. I loved this game, it was like Dungeon Master (though not quite as good) but with better graphics. I remember playing it every night for 2 weeks, ignoring all others so that I could crack this one. That's the way all the best games you ever loved were played right? Anyway, I finally reached the end ...

*SPOILER WARNING*

The final boss is not recognisable as a boss. There was this tiny little room, with a beholder in it (and how was I to know it was *the* beholder eh?), and after many frustrating attempts I managed to kill him. And he was tough. Turns out you are supposed to use a certain wand to knock him back into this spike trap to kill him, cheers for not letting us know that in advance you buggers ... still I did kill him though. But here was the kicker: SSI were too cheap to pay for the extra disc, so while you got a lovely animated intro to the game, upon killing the final boss you just got a page of text saying you've won and were given a reward! Imagine how I felt after 2 weeks of solid adventuring, to kill the final boss without recognising him and then getting a pitiful page of end story and dumped out into DOS without even a by your leave. So sad ... I can remember now how it felt to sit there, so disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great game and I look forward to looking at it again with a nostalgic smile on my face, but boy they really kicked me in the dangly bits all those years ago. I never finished that many games, I mean who does? But when I did, I wanted it to at least match the rest of the game in terms of content and style.
Parkingtigers is offline                         Send a private message to Parkingtigers