View Single Post
Old 13-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Default 3D controllable ball programming

or rather, a 3D controllable line program.

Since I don't know the first thing about programming, and since asking doesn't hurt, I'll throw out this question:

Anyone knowledgable in 3D modelling and programming? What I look for is a 3 dimensional representation of a line that can be rotated around a fixed point in all directions. It also has to be able to rotate around its own axis.

Practical use: An rc helicopter orientation training tool.

It does not have to behave like a heli in all respects, but it has to be able to rotate and flip around the fixed point. Some representation of the helicopter's nose is needed to, some sort of marker that will rotate when the line rotates around its own axis.

There are 3 controls that will be used. 2 for the rotation around the fixed point, and 1 for the rotation around the axis. The idea is to be able to use a 4 axis USB joystick shaped like an rc transmitter, two sticks, each movable along two axis.

If you are unfamiliar with rc transmitters: In rc, the transmitters come set up in one of several "modes". Mode 2, used in the US and many European countries, means:
-flipping the line around a fixed point is controlled with the right stick. The position of the nose defines the direction the line will flip when the stick is moved forward. Stick forward, line flips towards the nose. Left, right, backwards is thereby also defined.
-Rotating the line around its own axis is controlled by moving the left stick left or right for ccw or cw rotation.

The program has to let the user use a transmitter-ish controller. The aim is to let the user learn how to move the line around as it flips and rotates, without having to worry about the heli moving anywhere.

Now: I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to make such a program, but I'm gonna ask: Does it sound interesting enough as a pet project?