View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Default TheChosen plays Pool of Radiance

At least 'till I get bored with it and move on to something else

When I got a Commodore 64 back in 2002, the first game that got my attention was this. Most likely because it was fully boxed and had every manual and code wheel and disk and stuff. Today though, the box is pretty much a flat piece of cardboard, I coudlnt find the second half of the code wheel and manuals are tattered, which actually makes them look more like a "adventurers journal".

At this day and age, playing this game is actually quite cumbersome. This is because of the hardware. Loading takes a while, moving and such isnt that smooth and then there's the old fashioned game mechanics.

Still though, Pool of Radiance is a great game. Its one of the first Dungeons and Dragons game to actually be a roleplaying game, it has a big world and big story going on, and there's some form of freedom as well. Its also ball-breakingly hard, providing good challenge to those who actually dare to play with it. And thats what Im going to do.

Im going to play this on real Commodore 64, so all the cumbersome mechanics and hardware aspects are there. Why? Because I can, and its a genuine copy. Because its being played on Commodore, all I can really provide is reports on the progress, and what happened. No pictures, but I'l try to provide some sort of illustrations.

Although I usually love to write stories and stuff, this time I'l be fully concentrating on playing the game rather than writing. Feel free to write this kind of stuff yourself.

So in short, this is gonna be a thread of boring walls of text about me playing Pool of Radiance on Commodore 64.

There's not much of participation here, although you can write up silly or serious stories related to stuff that happens in the game. I'l be naming my party members after several AB members, but thats about it.

I'l be booting up the game later, write about characters and how are we gonna start coping such huge adventure up ahead.

If you have played Pool of Radiance or are expert in the old fashioned gold-box games, I'd gladly have some tips and advice, spoiler free of course.

So onward, to great adventures!

*If you wanna play the game yourself, its available on Commodore 64 (duh!), Amiga, Apple Computers, MS-DOS (Check XTC Abandonware), PC-9800 and last but not least, Nintendo Entertainment System. All playable via emulation.*

Last edited by TheChosen; 12-09-2011 at 04:13 PM.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen