Thread: Metal Gear
View Single Post
Old 30-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Looking back at this, I think this is my favorite review from TotalAnarchy.Nevermind, should have paid more attention.

Also, I'd like to explain this point, since Im such a Metal Gear geek

Quote:
rookie operative Solid Snake is sent into Outer Heaven alone - for some strange reason armed only with a pack of cigarettes. Smoking may kill, but I'd rather have a gun.
This idea was explained bit more in later games, especially in Metal Gear Solid 3. In first Metal Gear Solid, Snake starts with binoculars and cigarettes (which he smuggled out without his superiors knowing that) and Snake refers this as "Weapons and Equipment OSP (on-site procedure)", meaning that all the weapons and equipment have to be gathered from the field of operation.

They reveal bit more details in 3 that this was Foxhounds method of operation even from the start, back when it was called the FOX-unit. Using the weapons found in the field (which presumably belongs to the enemy) makes it impossible to trace back to the FOX and therefore the US Government, in any way that would prove their involvement.

Its a pretty nifty idea and makes sense. Then again, I had to ignore the fact that Naked Snake did bring his own gun and knife in MGS3...

Last edited by TheChosen; 30-06-2012 at 07:47 PM.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen