Thread: Custom Pcs
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #88
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

5 bucks is not a reason to sue, IMO.
If the chips were allright at the time of sale, the deal was fair. Since it was a second-hand purchase, there was no warranty of their function either.

AFAIK, though, most RAM manufacturers offer lifetime warranty... so your pal might want to try contacting the manufacturer.

I went through Memtest86 a few times, and - oddly - no errors popped up. (but I still have one pair of chips to test)

Maybe the problems were caused by combining EDO and normal SIMM chips in the same machine... altough my old 486 did not have a problem with that. But then it was a pretty tough construction too, and didn't need the RAM to be paired either (and it's built-in memory test was quite something).

Well, either way, I'll try installing only SIMMs and making the checksum test. If it still fails, then something must be wrong either with CPU or the HDD (or HDD controller).
We'll see.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman