View Single Post
Old 18-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #76
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Unfortunately the "feature a game only when some user writes a review" policy didn't work out quite well for Reloaded, and the community wasn't very active either.

Anyway, considering liberated games (i.e. formerly commercial), there are several neat sources like Remain in Play, Liberated Games and that Spanish blog I mentioned a while ago in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
I did try to go to ABR and blend in just like I did with AB... But I had to face up the fact that freeware simply, 98% of the time, is bad quality and poor games.
My philosophy here is that generally, there aren't too many good games, regardless of the type of commercial basis and distribution. Sure, a fully commercial game that operates on a solid budget can afford better graphics, professionally done music etc., but that doesn't always coincide with a great story or excellent playing mechanics. ON the other hand, there are lots of poor quality games that aren't at all free (most of them are of the shareware variety), and they also have little to offer in terms either game design or artistic merit.

In short, a game doesn't have to be commercial to be good, and vice versa, it doesn't have to be free to be bad. It's just that many commercial titles can wrap up a mediocre product in shiny graphics, and run a promo campaign to advertise it so that it surely sells.