View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

I disagree. What you call basics are algorithms and computer mechanics. I remember teaching someone Java once, only to realize how much stress I was giving her by making she understand both algorithm and object-orientation at the same time. In essence, both concepts are very different, and were creating a huge confusion. It worked much smoother when I separated the lessons, having her learn C first.

Saying that C++ "runs everything C runs" is like saying a computer runs all the languages, so learn computers. I really think one should start in pure C (which is structurally reasonably different from "typical" C++ code). The translation of C code into machine language is quite intuitive, specially in PC-like architectures. This particular feature turns C learning into a good lesson about memory structuration and processor mechanics. It helps you understand how things are organized. Object orienting is much farther from the machine, and much closer to the real world, making it a completly different way of thinking.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs