View Single Post
Old 23-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

A kind of thorny issue, you've brought to attention. Good job, and I mean that with sincerity.

The download system is being implimented by a substantial amount of sites, and larger companies are starting to adopt the concept. We see an example of this in Nintendo, with their Revolution system. Neat idea, it had me anticipating, but, as my friend Morgan immediatly reacted to it: "Nice! Imagine, now we have a steady supply of roms to hack out!" ...now, there are many, many technical errors in his statement, I am aware of that, but the concept I got from the statement was "We already have emulators." ...too slow, Nintendo. They also did their "Classic gaming series" carts for the gameboy advanced. I recall laughing at the notion. Here they were, selling Metroid for nearly price of a new game. Great marketing decision...

Some other download to play games have been attempted, Half Life 2 springs to mind, with its fantastically frustrating Steam system. Damn tight copyright protection implimentation though... even though the execution had a few gaping flaws that resulted in little glitches like, oh, paying customers being unable to play their game (ahem, hi!). Meh, at least Valve tried.
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit