View Single Post
Old 19-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #29
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Why do so many games lately completely drop support for XP SP2 and lower? I take it has to do with the fact that they also dropped support from Windows 2000 and lower at the same time but isn't it weird that a game support XP SPwhatever but not XP itself?
I also hate this "won't work in previous versions" stuff - and it's not only about games as Eagle of Fire noted. I'm quite certain most (or at least a considerable amount of) programmes that refuse to work or even install upon finding an outdated OS version would actually function, perhaps less stable. I know Win98 has serious differences from XP in terms of functioning, but all those service packs? Do they really affect core functionality so that newer programmes just won't run on older versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
Last I checked the old Star Wraith games, they were quite lackluster. But for a free WC, why not just play Wing Commander Darkest Dawn? It's insanely faithful to the franchise, using the FS2Open engine, FMV briefing, intros, chatty characters.. it's very good, and free for all.
The thing is that I'm trying to list games that are actually different yet similar enough to act as alternatives. I know about the Wing Commander Saga but it's more of a fanmade sequel/remake than anything. I'm not decided on projects like that yet, but let's say for now they're not in the main focus. Thanks for bringing this up anyway