Thread: Graphic cards
View Single Post
Old 23-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

I now think it's overheating, that's why I haven't been able to reproduce any of this. This card has always been hot when idle, but oddly enough it's not playing games what caused most problems (but Adobe Flash and extended desktop), so I didn't think about it. The card may be defective, but it's out of warranty now, and besides they wouldn't admit it on the basis of temperature, I already talked to Dell tech support once.

If this card is doing NOTHING it has always been at almost 70º C, but this didn't usually cause too many problems. Enabling extended desktop alone raises it 10º C (WTF?!), and that's what has been causing more consistent problems lately (with Windows Explorer). The problem is that I almost never used extended desktop before I got a big TV recently. Now I have the case open on one side, which makes it around 10º C cooler.

This is a desktop with a huge and very well ventilated case, the CPU is at 35º C. And I don't have any other PCI cards so it's not crowded and the air flow around the card must be as good as it can be. I think I'm going to have to get a new card.