View Single Post
Old 26-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You need to mount the drive(s) first. The best way to go around this is to create a directory on your C: drive and use it as your root directory. DOS only use directory names up to 8 characters, so having short directories really help. I suggest you use c:\DOS.

So, mounting your c: drive is the first step. You should write something like "mount c:\ c:\dos". This will create a c: drive with the root directory showing as "C:\" on your DOSBox, but it truely will be your "c:\DOS" directory you'll have on your normal drive.

From there on you pretty much learned most of what you need to know. Simply unarchive the games in your "C:\DOS" directory (it doesn't matter if you do it in Vista before loading DOSBox, it's even recommended) with short directory names and you'll be ready to go.

You need to use the CD command (meaning Change Directory) to move directories. Once you get in the game directory you want to play, use the DIR command (probably mean something too, but I forgot) to show the files. Find the right file (you can spot them from Vista prior to using DOSBox too) and start it directly.

Should work easily that way.