Thread: Shadow Man
View Single Post
Old 15-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #59
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Hit shadowman1.rar to unzip the image file.
You can use WinRar or 7Zip to do this.
Use a new folder to store all the files that are in the archive.

You don't have to 'create' an image file, the CD image is in the archive.
The post in the ISO cellar says it's a Clone CD image, so you'll get several files.
One of them should be a *.CUE file.
Use "Write image file to disk" option in ImgBurn.
Point ImgBurn to the CUE file to burn the CD.

[Edit]
Now that I think about it, before you try to burn the CD maybe post what files you have.
Sometimes the providers use an extra compressor.
Can be ECM or such ..... then you need to do an extra manip before you can use the image.
This is following the theme about the Capt C's quest for ISO download and installation, dosraider, r.u.s.s. and everyone helping. My two cents...

From the download link provided by r.u.s.s. (** indicate files I don't believe are essential):
**covers.rar - Box cover and PC CD-ROM cover scanned image shots of the original game, BBFC 15 certificate warning labels, "Printed in EC" and Austrailian address for Acclaim distribution location. This works on inital testing although the lettering for confirmation on the Load/Save/Quit screen is different. If have you played any other version you would know what I meant.
**shadowcrk.zip - claims it is "Crack for Shadowman v1.0 by S810 for UK version", also includes a shadowman.exe replacement. 731kb, dated 9/20/1999.
**shadowman1.nfo - Info file, looks like it is from mobygames.com, relating to the release (does not include file listing but mentions ECM and RAR as compression types). Also includes super simplistic installation instructions.
------
shadowman1.r00 |
shadowman1.r01 |
shadowman1.r02 |
shadowman1.r03 |
shadowman1.r04 |--**** All of these files contain a SHADOWMAN1.img.ecm file of the same (large) size
shadowman1.r05 |
shadowman1.r06 |
shadowman1.r07 |
------
shadowman1.r08 - Contains a SHADOWMAN1.img.ecm file (same size as above) . Also includes: SHADOWMAN1.sub, unecm.bat, and unecm.exe.
shadowman1.rar - Contains: SHADOWMAN1.ccd, SHADOWMAN1.cue, SHADOWMAN1.img.ecm (same size as above), SHADOWMAN1.sub, unecm.bat, and unecm.exe.

**shadowman1.sfv - hkSFV file used to verify file validate checksums. I downloaded the application and all 10 files required were CRC verified as 100% OK.
**shadwfix.zip - claims to resolve "returning to the desktop or system freezes" issues and includes a Shadowman.exe replacement. 722kb, dated 6/18/1999. "Please Insert Your ShadowMan CD" dailog is displayed.
**sman-d3dcfg-bh.zip - claims to be a " SHADOWMAN D3DCONFIG.EXE NO-CD crack". This would not run on my Windows 7 operating system, not even with XP service pack 2 as the launch setup. States it is a 32 bit non-compatible application.
**smfixexe.zip - No text file included in the zip. I can only assume it is another Shadowman.exe replacement fix. 856kb, dated 8/19/1999. As with the shadowcrk.zip, this appears to be working upon initial testing.

I don't want to burn a CD, play from a virtual drive or anything else since I know it kind of worked from my hard drive. With that in mind, this is what I did to get it to work from my hard drive:
- Downloaded shadowman1.rar from the link r.u.s.s. provided (Thanks r.u.s.s.!!).
- Used 7-Zip to extract the files from the RAR to a temporary directory.
- Used UltraISO to extract the files using SHADOWMAN1.cue as the source, to an entirely different temporary install.
- Used the D3DConfigUtility.exe that came with the download from Abandonia (just the EXE file, not SETUPREG.EXE). I copied this one over the D3DConfigUtility.exe that was extracted from the SHADOWMAN1.cue.
- I tried this next step both ways. Executed D3DConfigUtility.exe and since Install or Cancel were the only options, I installed. I also executed Setup.exe and proceeded with the installation from there. NOTE: Music has to be selected as an additional option during the setup process, with the associated additional disk space usage increase.
- After attempting with no success from every angle to get the ShadowMan.exe that came from the SHADOWMAN1.cue extraction to at least launch, I finally went through and tried the files from the above download and used the ShadowMan.exe that I downloaded from Abandonia. Then I checked out all of these other executables. Three out of four executables have been working upon initial testing.

This resolved my initial issue I had with no music playback. Now there are two other known issues I am aware of which may or may not be resolved. One of the issues involves being dropped back to the desktop every time I died while playing the Asylum: Gateway level in the areas that were accessed using the Marcher Gad. Not before visits to Gateway or after (maybe because by then I was stronger and wiser and didn't die).
The other "issue", which is actually beneficial if it would glitch out consistently, was in the way I play. I would find an unknown container(s), quicksave the game, then shoot the container(s) to determine the contents. If it was something I needed to resupply, like ammo or cadeaux, I would pick them up and continue. If it was health mana which disappears if not used or something I could possibly use in the near future but not right now, I would restore from the quicksave. This would often bring about the unexpected result of random quantities of extra gold skulls floating about in the vicinity. Odd...but not unpleasant.

I don't know if I am going to play it all over again just to test out all of the working EXE files. I do know that I didn't have music initially though from the Abandonia download and yes, I did extract the music files and yes, I did download the file from Abandonia on more than one occasion, uninstalled the previous version and re-installed the latest copy with the same results. I also tried different XP configurations and even tried it on my XP notebook with the same results.

Ok, shutting up now...

Last edited by Ohne Mitleid; 15-12-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Ohne Mitleid is offline                         Send a private message to Ohne Mitleid