View Single Post
Old 23-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #130
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Shadow Man

Well, those doors turned out less exciting than I thought. Just little rooms, they were.

So I found time to pass the Temple of Fire. Now have to do some backtrack, as lvl 4 is not yet. I remember this was the stage my old computer gave in, so imma happy.
Or was that a temple later? Huh, I'd be surprised if the same lag would dispose me nao.

New movie: after gaining La Luna, Nettie told some new stuff.

Secret: Flame On Mode I gained in the Temple of Fire in the room with the big ramp. Ideally you'd gain this coming back with the Flambeau, but due to design-flaw and gamer-persistence you can just jump to the location's corridor from the other end

-----------

Hm, that backtracking rose me to lvl 5, but they were almost always just small rooms and niches. Strange, like inthe middle the game would gain speed, instead building even more humongous mazes. Unlike Might and Magic 6 did OH, those EYES!
Also, as got the Poignant, aka. climber claws, the need of backtracking and eliminating markers on my hand-drawn map got really a good idea.

But first of all went to exchange 100 cadeaux to the loa, and I did need the HP at one point, where some vulture-demons spat at me while climbing a tower.
I also have 50 remaining on me at this point. (and I have I think 28 dark souls. No idea why the aquirable cadeaux are not noted ingame)

A moment for that tower: I really don't mind the buttons in this game. They are not just door-openers, but alwaysstraight told what they do. Very good. It is also giving itself when you are supposed to go and find a button, 'cause w/o it u can't progress

Got the Flambeau. Now unlike the other magical stuff this just held in your hand drains your mana. Too bad, it'd've been a really useful secondary item, being a torch.
This also means some more backtrack.

Coming to that, there is a WP, unmarked in walkthroughs, for the Temple of Fire, at the end of the first trial 8on top of the ziggurat).

Also, the secondary stuffs: they are to be kept in mind. They are not for everyday use,and if you have a thingy in both of your hands you won't be able to play Prince of Persia (grabbing walls at the end of a jump), but they give occasional firepower, what can come in handy. The "dagger" (bayou) costs a lot of mana, but is very strong. The "magic wand" (asson) is like a secondary pistol, and serves good against The Sisters or other grouping flying monsters. It also costs only a fraction of a dose of your energy, so you CAN SHOOT a couple of dozen shots before you expire.

Aside from backtracking the possible doorways at this point are: lvl 4, lvl 6, lvl 7, lvl 10, AND we're waiting to summon night on Liveside.

-------

Done with the backtrack, only one way accessible. I feel freaggin' strong, but I think this is partially for the GoG-version - I don't remember the shadowgun charging this fast, or the shadowgates open that fast. Might be doen sg of course with the stronger computer either.

I THINK I am done with 33% of the game, even if I only have like 30/120 dark souls. Who knows, there could be a harvest somewhere instead of the looking around. Oh, one can hope

This post starts to grow too big, so add some content to really make it reasonable to open a new one:
- there are two bosses I could visit any time. Of course I did tried them just for the taste, and the army-guy with the machine-gun seem to offer the tactic of hiding behind a pillar, and shooting him between his shots (he periodically shoots a range of ammo, than stops for a second or two and so on).
- the other guy had a pistol, which autohit. I think I'll need the shield-artifact to protect myself while killing it with a weapon. If that works that way. If not, than just shoot the two biggest gun porrible I assume.

On the official map there are superficial markers to help the player. Most of them r obvious (although bets me why the Temple of Life is not marked, and certain things get way more attention on it than they deserve), but what could the purple lines/pathways mean?!?

Finally let me tell you how intelligently this game is designed:
there is this last location I visited. You pass the usual caves, opening chests, disposing the encountered natives (I really like the enemies here are "natives", and not "monsters in dungeon" ), than you reach a hole you'll have to fall down into. Now be clever and DO NOT jump there.
Instead choose sniper-mode, look down, and "kill" (a lot of monsters respawn, so you don't kill by strickt meaning) the immediate threat. Jump down.
Now you are surrounded by walls. there are crates, but climbing crates again WOULD BE BORING. So instead grab the edges of the wall, and climb holding there on top of the(otherwise too high) boxes. They are on a ramp, so the fence/wall is less tall on one side. You climbthe boxes, and jump into the next cage (the map titled Cageways, heh).
There you encounter more hostiles, so run and STRAFE around to avoid their attacks while disposing them.
Ok, so you are in another cage, surrounded by walls. No, you won't again climb walls and boxes. You'll this time climb a rope (handful to be there, but it is not totally unacceptable).
And when you are out, you can continue your travel BY TRAIN

The bad side though:
- you can only keep down 2 buttons the same time. I could have used 3 occasionally.
- the replay-value.. Aside that the game is humongous, I think there is little of it. Not that most of us would care.
- at the point I am now I start to feel some more background would be good. I mean right at the beginning there were cutscreens of background and lore, than you find books telling you details and all, than you enter the chapels of the Five - but now what I got for long is mostly gathering a bunch of new items, and even those start to run low. I really wouldn't like the second half/remaining part of the game just turn to be a bigger and bigger massacre of monsters trying to kill you.
- the equipment is really designed to fight ONE enemy at a time. That is kinda limiting.

Last edited by twillight; 24-11-2014 at 04:57 PM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight