View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaaViinsZ View Post
Lemme guess, dumpster, 'ight?
Actually, it was buried in the depths of a drawer. I guess someone borrowed it to us and forgot (or didn't bother) to ask back. I've never seen Thundercats on TV. That would be normal back in the early nineties though, most of videos that were available then here in Russia were pirated, homebrew-dubbed VHS copies. Those could get shown by local TV channels too (but not necessarily).

Quote:
Conan the Adventurer, heh, no, haven't seen it. Again, heard of it. A lot of cartoons are un-objectionable once you start watching them, in fact, a lot are easy to like, but it just depends on whether or not it's one you "LOVE" that makes it special. Or Really like.
The opening sequence seemed pretty awesome to me back then And the show itself doesn't fall short of it either, with a cool character cast and equally cool antagonists.

I totally hated the spin-off Conan and the Young Warriors though, and in fact refused to watch it. Not only Conan's original companions were all removed, but the authors went so far as to explain the absence of Conan's talking phoenix sidekick as him having been eaten by Conan himself (this was supposedly a joke or something - but man, you don't joke like that in a show aimed at kids!).

Quote:
Never seen or heard of the Raccoons. When was that on, and for how long?
The Raccoons is a regular TV series, but there are also a few feature films. Of those, I only saw The Raccoons and the Lost Star, which was I think long before some other local TV channel ran the series. I liked The Lost Star a lot because of lots of weird technology like red WWI-looking biplanes that are capable of space flight (piloted by anthropomorphic aardvarks, no less) and Cyril Sneer's entire war machine in general. Yeah, I understand that they were depicted as the bad guys while the nature-loving protagonists should have been actually setting a good example for the kids, but I liked the tech stuff more anyway.

Quote:
I vaguely remember HEARING about the odyssey, but I certainly can't tell you what it is besides what you've already told me.
I liked The Odyssey a lot. As with The Lost Star and TMNT, this was a show I first had a glimpse of on some TV channel but could watch more or less consistently only some time later. To me, the appeal of The Odyssey comes from the author's attempt to introduce some serious ideas (serious for a kid show that is) or at least give a non-trivial spin to common problems (growing up, the misunderstandings between adults and children etc.), and also from the military-like aspects of the "bad" guys' organization

The show's third season also got a darker and edgier main theme (they already had a rather creepy closing credits theme). Here's a convenient comparison of the opening sequences across seasons.

BTW, I forgot two more shows I enjoyed as a kid, Challenge of the GoBots and Macron 1. I was actually quite surprised to learn that Macron 1 is in fact a combination of what was originally two different Japanese series. Although now I'm not even sure if what I watched was the US version (which amalgamates the two series), or the European version that only leaves the original GoShogun part.

I also vaguely remember two shows I don't know the titles of. One was about anthropomorphic dinosaurs that came to Earth from another planet. They wore spacesuits (IIRC) and had some advanced tech vehicles and all that stuff. Can't remember any details beyond this, I think there were some antagonists but who they were or what they fought over eludes me now. I think there was some sort of environmental protection theme, which I guess is typical for the 80s/early 90s.

The other was a Japanese anime that could probably be considered a "girly" show that was centred around a blonde girl from an orphanage who had some special powers or something. The setting was late 19th century Europe, possibly with some steampunk overtones thrown in. The girl was pursued by some dark-haired witch/magician lady whose sidekick was a stout humanoid cat in a dark purple suit with a bowler hat (and possibly a monocle).

As for the environmentalist theme, I also like the early 90s animated feature film FernGully: The Last Rainforest, which is actually better than some Disney feature films of the same time period IMO.

Quote:
Something weird I Read on Wiki about TMNT: Way back in the 80's or so, there were some people who had things against "Ninjas" or something, so they would alter the title of the show.

Teenage Mutant NINJA Turtles became "Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles"!

Weird, eh?

Not to mention, who ever had the nunchucks never appeared with them. They always "Censored" the parts with the nunchucks, instead doing something else, like having the same turtle appear twice, with stock footage, instead of having the right one.
This is the result of some British censorship law, which is I think no longer in effect. The same law was applied to Shadow Warrior, which resulted in a complete removal of all images of shurikens in the UK version. The shuriken weapon available to the player was replaced with darts (in reality, the Japanese concept of "shurikens" includes projectiles that are not only star-shaped, but also those that are essentially throwing darts).