View Single Post
Old 16-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #426
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post

It would be a lot of frustration, waste of money and waste of time when you can not finish a game. Well, that would be my personal opinion. *shrug*

Well, I'm not sure what u refer here exactly, but let me share my 5 cents.
I rely (heavily) on walkthroughs because:
- most games (like 90-99%) which have quest-system rely on two things: a) high enough level from quests b) quests which conflict with each other if you don't do them in the right order, so Quest A cancels Quest B easily. This is obviously donetoforce you to buy "official guides" and crap, even in the Age Of Internet. It's dumb, but it exists.
Many times grinding is not even possible as substitute.

- I am a bad gamer. Or at least not good. Idefintely lkack the skills to win a first person shooter multiplayer game, or any other game built on the first Quake's method. Thus I have to rely on tried methods. Sure, I adapt the guides to my own liking, but I definitely need support. So the games for me transform into some kinda interactive novels instead of the intended games.
Which is in a way bad, but on the other hand I don't realy mind.

Now none of the games I mentioned fall into this category.
Baldies almost surely has nothing special when you beat the last level. Sure, as I consider myself a pro in that game that's kinda bad news, but to be honest, that game has like 3 strategies for a hundred level, so who realy cares?
And for G.O.L.E.M. I'd need a crapload of times to do the last difficulty, but that game rly has like 1 startegy for all the levels (only with minor variation in units), and in theory the three stories are probably intended to be independent... But I felt excitement to interwave them. But it's darn repetitve in all respect, so I just drifted away years ago.

the last game I tried to solve w/o walkthrough was Maniac Mansion, but it was complex, I didn't rly speak english, it was looong (timed events and crap), no idea of the use of characters, and it even had bugs and unsolvable turn of events (getting captured too soon, turning the telescope the wrong way etc.).
I had to solve games like Warcraft 1, or Total Annihilation kingdoms myself, but even Heroes of Might and Magic 3 I only went relying on myself until a beastmaster level which took me literaly monthes to solve (I got into a twofront war, transporting my entire army all across the map every stupid turn).
Then I realised Fog of War is a stupid thing, and I only have like 10 fingers, and my reaction time isn't that great (for normal life it is perfectly fine, I'm just not to the point of jet-pilot), and I notoriously avoid using extra programs (clickbots, maphacks, etc), which all culminates to falling back on abandonedware